Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I recently finished a book by Jonathan Safran Foer called Extremely Close and Incredibly Loud. Or Incredibly Loud and Extremely Close. As you can see, I have a problem matching adjective to verb. Or adverb to verb? Let's move on with the blog. And yes, I do know that my mom read that first part and cringed while reminding herself that I am my father's daughter.
I've read two of Mr. Foer's books, the other one being Everything Is Illuminated. Now I can say with a comfortable amount of confidence that these books aren't feel good books, and they don't have a happy ending, or even explain themselves for that matter. They're like a little slice of life, unapoligetic and not neat, clean or rounded off at the end to make the reader feel better. The message you get in the end is what you choose to derive from the context, and I wouldn't be suprised if everyone who reads his book comes out with something a little bit different.
The Loud and Close book is about a boy who's father died in the Twin Towers. I'll interrupt this to say that it proves how much I love this author to read a book with this plotline, not only because it's hard to read but also because I don't feel like this incident should be commercialized now or ever. No more movies or books. In my opinion, that isn't a day we celebrate and look back on over and over.
So Oskar's dad dies in the Twin Towers, which obviously Oskar struggles with. One day he accidently breaks a vase and finds a key inside, and he devotes his extra time to finding out who the key belongs to. He sees it as a way of finishing his dad's unfinished business and keeping him close at the same time.
The main message I took away from the book was simply that it's important to let people know how you feel about them, because sometimes only the lucky get second chances.
At the risk of getting cheesy, I want to tell you all how much I really love and care about you. I look forward to time with my family more than anything else. I personally think we're a great group of people who love to have fun and intelligent conversations.
I love my friends enough that I don't really have a strict line between my close friends and my family. If I had one wish for my baby it would be that she finds friends like I had growing up. We went through struggles but were and are constantly there to support each other and help each other out.
Thank you all for your love and support. Thank you for being in my life. It wouldn't be worth it without you.

4 comments:

Little Momma said...

They are adverbs modifying adjectives, but I am not being critical. I am just glad you can read, and do read and love to read. Your writing is also a delight to me, since you do it so well. And thanks for expressing your sweet feelings to us. I love you, too and am proud of your accomplishments and the way you care for Kameryn. You are awesome!

Danae said...

Hm, I hate books with sad endings, or even ones that are just cliff-hangers. I've said it before, I'm a simple person that doesn't like to be reminded of the bad things in life. I like HAPPY endings.

But, I think it's great you can take a book like that and make it into something positive. That says a lot more about you, really, than the book.

Love you.

Allie said...

I haven't really started "Everything is Illuminated" yet. I've tried a couple of times, but mostly I'm just so worn out after I get home from surgery that I just want to eat dinner and go to bed. I do want to read it, though, and if you recommend this new one, I'll put it on my list too.

I love you tons, Kjersti-shmirsti, and I am so happy to watch your new little family as you all grow and change.

Love ya!

Kimba said...

Kjersti Kjersti Kjersti. I love you too!!!! I miss you like crazy! I will be writing you an email, cause I have a bone to pick with you........ :) Since when did you get a cell phone!??!?! :)