****Okay, this is the second warning and my disclaimer: This will be an angry, bitching rant and I am unapologetic. If you are easilly offended, read no further. And with that, I'm off.****
I called my dad's cell phone from work to give him some blood test results. A woman answers the phone who's voice I don't recognize.
Me: "Is C. Hanna there?"
L: "No, he's out of town, but this is his niece and I can give him a message if you want."
(Um, what? My dad barely talks to his brothers and sisters, he didn't leave his cell phone with one of their kids. By this point I'm so confused that I need to clarify.)
Me: "Is this C. HANNA?"
L, thinking I'm asking if SHE is C. Hanna (DUH!) answers: "No, this is C. Hanna's daughter."
(UM, WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!)
Me: "No, I'M C. Hanna's daughter. WHO is this?"
L: "Oh, this is his step daughter L."
The conversation ends civilly at that point because I'm at work. Here are my thoughts that WEREN'T said during this conversation because I was at work, but should've been:
"No, actually you're NOT C. Hanna's step daughter because our parents aren't married. I know that because if they were, I'd want to kill myself. Oh, woops, not the right person to say that to. Here's a tip: If you want to identify yourself so we'll know who you are, you can simply say "I'm the loser slacker mooch that lives with your dad and is a total pain in his ass." THEN I'll know who I'm talking to."
My whole life I've been proud to be my dad's daughter. He would come to talk in class, and I was like a peacock, so proud to show him off. I even remember when caller ID was new I was so excited because any time I called anyone my dad's name would show up. And even now, even when he came to the office to see the doctor I stopped him in front of every person we passed so I could tell my co-workers that this was my dad.
I can see why she would want to claim to be his daughter. But there's so many things that make it TOTALLY outlandish. First of all, there's a certain amount of class that goes along with being a Hanna. There's a HUGE desire to strive for intelligence and to make something out of your life. We want to be successful, and even if we're not there yet, we don't give up.
My dad's rules for us after we reached a certain maturity were, 1. Always use your best judgement and 2. There are no other rules. Well, most of us know what L's best judgement is, and if she's so convinced that the world is better off without her, she's probably right and she should use more successful methods. (Did that cross the line? I SO don't care. In fact, I think most people would agree with me. If you don't, you don't know enough about her.)
I don't agree with everything my dad does. There are a lot of views that we don't share. But I love him and am so proud of him, and it's disgraceful to him AND to me to have someone like that trying to claim him. She has a hell of a long way to go before she can call him Dad and have it be anything more to him than a flat-out insult.
Friday, November 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Holy rusted metal, Batman!
Kjersti, I love your honesty. I love that you're not scared to tell the truth. I hate the fact that Dad lives with these people, too, when they are so the polar opposite of what we have all tried to be our whole lives. I'm with you, and I would have been angry too. GOOD job on saying that you think!!
I thought for sure you were going to say someone stole your dad's phone, but man that rant was soooo much better than a stolen phone story could ever have been!
SSFB
Wow. What an idiot. Not only should she not try and claim to be dad's daughter, but she should also try and remember to keep her story straight. His niece and his daughter? I don't want to know...
Post a Comment