Thursday, June 29, 2006

My Curse

Tonight I find myself in a situation I hate; my baby is sleeping and try as I might, I can't fall asleep with her. This happens about once a week, and it's the most nerve-wracking thing because every time Kameryn falls asleep it's like a timer counting down until she wakes up again and I never know how long the timer is set for. So I catch myself thinking, "I have to get to sleep, I may only have an hour left, or 15 minutes left, or maybe she'll sleep through the night..." And because I'm unsure and trying to force myself to sleep, I can't. And, if tonight is anything like last night, her timer will go off about 20 minutes after I fall asleep. That's always a fun scenerio.

New evidence that I'm a new, nervous, overprotective mother is always emerging. I started to feel sick earlier this week and Kameryn came down with a runny nose on Monday. I hadn't ever used one of the baby-nose-suction-outty things before, and I found that I pretty much hate it. While Kameryn was crying I thought to myself, "Hey, it's okay. No baby has ever died of a runny nose before....but since her doctor's appointment is tomorrow, maybe I should ask him, JUST to double check."

5 comments:

Little Momma said...

I have discovered two solutions to this problem. I put on some soothing music that I like (say, Kurt Bestor's "Evening Angels") and just listen to it. I have yet to hear the end of the CD! The other solution is books on tape. What a blessing they are. They give me a plot and characters to get my mind off of my problems -- things I can't do anything about in the middle of the night anyway -- and the narrator ususally has a soothing voice that sends me off to sleep every time. (If you really need to get to sleep fast, get conference talks. They are guaranteed to put you to sleep in five minutes or less.) Listening to tapes is the best because they turn themselves off and you don't waste electricity. Try it!

Kimba said...

My cousins and I were discussing this exact thing. It's the same thing when you KNOW you have to get up in the morning, and don't want to miss your alarm or something. You can't fall asleep, and you wake up every 20 minutes, worried you missed your alarm!!! I do this to myself all the time. I think wow, it's 10:00. I'm in bed. I can get an extra hour or so of sleep. Okay, fall asleep now. Alrighty then.....okay....sleep Kim....sleep.....nothing! Try reading! Especially something hideously boring, like quantum physics. Pretend you're studying for a test. That always put me RIGHT to sleep...... :)
So Kjersti, I had a dream about you and your baby last night! Lol this might tell you how weird my dreams are. So in my dream, Abby and I were coming to see you and your little girl. Except when we got there, she was two years old, and had a unicorn. Not coming out of her head no, that would be too normal for my dreams. It was INSIDE her head, and so it was covered with skin. And it wasn't stable, it was flapping around. Abby and I had to pretend that it was totally normal, because you didn't seem to notice it.... lol it was weird, and I woke up SO GLAD it was a dream. But I promise, if Kameryn had a unicorn, I would tell you. :) I can't wait to see you both!

Chelsee said...

Kjersti! You are so cute! Kameryn will be fine. I have trouble sleeping sometimes too. Make sure that Jay's alarm going off isn't your problem. :)

Allie said...

If you need a book or two that will put you to sleep after just a few minutes of reading, I've got a few med school books I could probably give you!

I usually turn on music when I can't sleep--Enya: Shepherd Moon or the soundtrack to Somewhere in Time are two that work really well for me. Just remember to turn it down really low--so if the lights were on you wouldn't be able to hear it--you'll never be able to stay awake for the entire CD.

Danae said...

I don't so much have problems falling asleep, so I'm no help on this subject. I can sleep on the couch while Gary is watching a movie and blaring our surround sound. I can pretty much fall asleep anywhere, anytime. I just need a blanket and pillow and I am golden.

Anyway, I suggest that you move closer to me, bring me Kameryn whenever you need a nap, and then you can come get her again after you wake up. How does that sound!?