First book was "Marked" by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast. My aunt Dariece suggested it (Thank you!) It's about vampyres and people who liked Twilight would probably like this one as well. It's an easy read and entertaining, but not as squeaky clean as Twilight. I liked it. Jay really liked it and went out and bought the next 3 books, which he then read in 2 days. And the next one is coming out in March. I would say the book is a mix between Twilight and Mean Girls, and worth picking up.
The second book I read was "An Exact Replica of a Figment of my Imagination." We had gone to the library to get the second book in the Marked series, and this book caught my eye. I picked it up because I thought that the title was interesting, and when I read the back it wasn't my type of book at all. It's a memoir about a woman who gives birth to a stillborn baby, and then a year later gives birth to a healthy baby. I don't do well with sad stories about babies. But I checked it out anyway, thinking maybe I could work up the courage to read it, and after I finished Marked I read the first chapter. The author, Elizabeth McCracken, is a really funny, insightful author who writes a beautiful tribute to her experience and her first baby. Each chapter is almost like a short story in itself, and some of them made me laugh, and some made me bawl. But the book was amazing, and I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone.
The last book I read was "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. It was one Allison read and recommended to me. And what can I say about this book? Any way I try to describe it won't do it justice. When I was reading it, I could read 100 pages and it felt like only a couple minutes had gone by. The story is beautiful and the writing is genius. Once you read this book, it will own a small piece of your soul. I think everyone should read it, and at the same time, I don't think anyone should read it that wouldn't understand how amazing it is. I don't know what kind of a recommendation that is, but it's the best I can do.
Up Next: Gone with the Wind. Since the book is 1024 pages it's one I wouldn't even attempt, but my friend Abby recommended it, and Abby knows her stuff. So I'm hoping to be finish it in February.
6 comments:
Yay for books! I love to hear what other people are reading. That was a super fun post. I am looking forward to reading The Book Thief, and I am also looking forward to discussing GWTW with you!
Thanks for being such a cool literary yo, yo.
If GWTW is anything like the movie, YUCK! You'll have to let me know.
Thanks for crying over The Book Thief with me.
I remember reading GWTW when I was living with your family going to college. The thing that I remember most is that as I was reading about the tough times in the book, I always felt like I was starving too and needed to eat or I wouldn't make it to the next chapter. I think I drove your mother nuts always looking for snacks. haha NTD
The only one of these books that I have read is Gone With the Wind. I saw the movie when I was a kid and wasn't all that impressed, but I loved the book. As usual, Hollywood ruins good literature. My recommendation is that after you have finished GWTW, you also read Scarlet, which is the sequel, written by a different author. It is excellent as well.
I want you to read White Oleander!! :) I'm glad you are finding more time to read.
My reading so far this year has been The Host by Stephanie Meyer, the same author that did Twilight. It was better than I expected. I think you guys would like it... it has a good 'moral of the story,' I think. :)
Gary got some books on tape at B&N so when he's done, I listen to those too. We just finished Prey by Michael Crighton, the author that did Jurassic Park... and now I am in the middle of Deception Point. So far, it's very good. The thing that Gary and I both like about Dan Brown is that he throws real facts into his books. For example, Deception Point is about the U.S. President running again for office... so there are a lot of facts about the White House and other things that I would never know. Did you know that Presidents can pick from a store room full of furniture that passed presidents have used? The only one you cannot take is the bed of Lincoln... which is funny because Lincoln never lived in the White House.... anyway. Just a couple of suggestions for those that are interested!!
Great blog, Kjersti!
Post a Comment