Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Petting Zoo; Or Gus the Hungry Kid

Kameryn loves horses. She is constantly playing with horses in many forms: We have a plush horse, a rocking horse, big plastic horses that go in a stable, smaller horses that are also hard plastic, and my little ponies for bathtime. She also watches "Spirit" which in our house is referred to as "The Horse Movie." And my least favorite: often Kameryn will pretend she's a horse, which means that when I ask her questions I get a high pitched "whinny" instead of an answer. Overall I can understand the horse obsession since I went through a horse phase of my own, and so I like to encourage Kameryn and let her know that if she loves horses so much, there's a way that she can be around them. This is how the idea came of taking her to the petting zoo that also has horse rides for $3.

Meet Charlie.
Charlie was the horse that Kameryn got to ride, and she absolutely loved it.
The petting zoo was also really cool. Most of the animals were just out walking around instead of being in separate cages, and the goats especially would come right up to you.
As soon as we walked in and Reagan saw all the animals, she started laughing. It was a sweet, contagious little belly laugh.One goat was especially ambitious. And hungry. He was over at the chicken coop trying to get leaves. And the wind was blowing, so it was no easy task. But he wasn't about to give up.And there, by the chicken coop was where we first saw Gus. Or course he was irresistible because he was so small and cute, but we would soon find out three things about Gus:
The first was that him and Kameryn were destined to be friends.
The second thing we would learn about Gus is that he liked to climb on the other animals. And none of them really seemed to mind.And the third thing about Gus was that he was always hungry, and open to trying new things.This handsome devil was Gandolf. He was the most respected and revered animal in the petting zoo. He is the local medicine man/shaman, and even Gus knew to leave him alone. And that says a lot.
We went about our business, looking at the animals and we knew that Gus was following Kameryn around. All the while Gus was forming a secret plan we didn't know about:
As soon as Kameryn sat down Gus had his chance. He came up to her, playing sweet and innocent....And then, before we knew it, he attacked. He was after one thing: Kameryn hair.By then it was time to go, so Kameryn rode Charlie one last time, and that concluded our petting zoo adventure. Kameryn, as you can imagine, is eager to go back. Sneaky goat and all.

6 comments:

Kimba said...

CUTE! I can't wait for this kind of stuff, Kameryn looks like she was in heaven! And cute little laughing Reagan. :) I'm sure you'll never hear the end of it!

Abby said...

That was the most adorablest post EVER! I WANT GUS! What kind of a freaking goat is that, anyway? What good parents you are to take your little pony to go meet the other little ponies.

Kelly said...

WHERE IS THIS ALLEGED PETTING ZOO?! I wanna go and play with Gus!!

Kjersti said...

Kelly! Thanks for commenting, I didn't even know you had a blog or checked my blog! The petting zoo is down at Gardner Village, and they are open Monday thru Saturday from 11-6, as long as the weather is good. It's $3 for horse rides and $2 for the petting zoo.

Chelsee said...

So cute!! And what a great idea! I loved horses when I was a kid too and I loved the party where mom got that pony for me to ride around the yard! You are a great mom!

Danae said...

Oh! I'm so sad I missed it! These pictures are great, and I'm impressed that Kameryn handled a goat eating her hair so well... Next time please invite us! I think Isaac would have a blast!