The other night I had a dream about my Grandma Turner. In my dream my grandma was dying, and my family was all in the room with her, not too much unlike reality not too long ago. We knew she was dying, and she was talking, but every time she talked to my mom she called her by the wrong name, usually her sister's names. But in my dream, it didn't frustrate my mom at all. She would just gently correct my grandma.
I know the dream doesn't really sound like much, but I woke up completely awed, because the dream was saturated with the feeling of my mom's unconditional love and acceptance for her mom and for all of us. And it seemed bigger then just those two women, it was more about relationships everywhere and how beautiful they can be.
Jay and I have been lucky because his grandpa lived long enough to meet Kameryn. That's a memory I don't think I'll ever forget because she just stared at him for awhile as he held her, and then she started to cry and he started to sing to her. A song he sang with his wife before she died a few months before.
I wish she had a chance to meet my Grandma Turner. We weren't that lucky. I'll have to tell Kameryn everything I know about her, because she missed meeting a sweet, thoughtful, wonderful woman.
But in some ways I feel like she must already know her, since they're a part of each other. You can see it in her hands. She got my grandma's hands.
Friday, June 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think your dream is about a legacy of unconditional love. Something that sticks in my mind is how much my mother loved my grandmother and how much my grandmother loved me. My mother called her mother every Sunday, if not more often, and talked to her for an hour or so, much like Allison calls me and talks for a long time. And my grandmother always remembered my birthday and sent me a card with a quarter inside, much like your grandmother did for all of your brothers and sisters and you (with more like a dollar or five dollars inside). And Kjersti, I think this comes to your subconscious mind because of how much you love Kameryn and how much you already feel that she loves you. There is nothing quite like the love of a baby. She thinks you are a god, and I believe every woman should have at least one person in the world who thinks she is a god.
I have also felt sadness about Grandparents who have passed on who will never be here to see my son. I know that for me, I am comforted by the thought that they are actually all in Heaven together and got to meet each other even before I get to meet him. I picture Grandma and Grandpa Turner, along with Grandpa Hanna talking to him, telling him how it's going to be, and that he needs to be a good boy. :) I agree with what Mom says, and I feel like love is everlasting and lasts beyond this life. I feel it myself when I think of my own family, or my husband, and it's obvious I am feeling it when I get protective of my unborn baby. Isn't love wonderful?
Post a Comment