I was in the kitchen today before work, making egg sandwiches for lunch. Kami starts asking for something, but I can't quite understand what she's asking for. At first it sounds like, "Piter."
"Spider?" I guess.
"No."
When she says it the second time it sounds more like "Potter."
"Water?" I guess.
Wrong again. Kami can tell she's going to have to spell this one out for me, so she starts explaining in steps, slowly, so I can follow. Obviously, sometimes you have to simplify so Mom can understand.
"Spoon." She says while opening the drawer and pulling out a spoon for herself. Then she goes to the pantry, opens it, and points up.
"Potter. POTTER."
And it dawns on me. Butter. Peanut butter. My daughter wants a spoonful of peanut butter. And I know that some people think that is a really weird thing to do, and I get that.
I, on the other hand, do it on a regular basis.
And now, Kami and I can enjoy our peanut butter together. Spoonfuls of it. And there's something that makes me so happy about that.
Wednesday, December 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
There's something to be said for family food traditions. Like egg sandwiches, for instance.
Cute! I came over while she was still working on that spponful of peanut butter, and I can say that she sure downed that! And, very fittingly, after she was done, she said, "Mom, I want water!" :)
I think taking spoonfuls of peanut butter is in the family genes.
Kathy would be so proud. Each time I send her a package it always includes some form of peanut butter. She's addicted as well.
Post a Comment