Tuesday, July 17, 2007

My Discovery

This past Friday I was talking to our Physican's Assistant about how I've been feeling nauseated almost every night for a couple weeks, but I've taken a couple pregnancy tests and they were both negative. She was asking about my birth control (I was on the patch) and she said that isn't a good choice for me and I should try something else. That conversation turned into a visit so she could prescribe something for me, which turned into my annual exam because it was long overdue. And yes, I know, I work in a doctor's office and I should be more careful about things like that, but come on, no one looks forward to that exam. The ONLY good part about it is when it's over you know you're good for another year.
So at the end she said she wanted to get some blood work, which I admit I got a little too excited about, and I said something like, "Oh, I love getting my blood drawn. Feel free to run anything you want on me." And she said, "Alright, I had some things in mind." And she ordered 8 tests, checking my thyroid and cholesterol and complete blood count and all that.
I really do love getting my blood drawn. I don't like getting pricked, but I don't mind it either, and I'm always amazed with ALL the many things they know about you from a little bit of blood. They can check all the cholestrol, my iron count, my calcium, my platelets, my liver, my C02, and all of it from a bit of blood.
Well, we got my bloodwork back and everything came back normal except one thing. My thyoid. The range for normal thyroids is 0.45 and 4.5. Mine was at 16.94. And just like that, we know that I'll be taking Synthroid or the like for the rest of my life.
The good thing about it is that taking the pills- once we find the right dose, which admittedly might take awhile - will give me more energy and with any luck will help me lose some weight. And even without that, I think it's so much better to know than to not know and worry.
SO, for the people in my family, I suggest getting your thyroid checked. If me and mom both have it, there's a good chance that it runs in the family.
And to everyone else, make sure you make your appointments, even the bad ones. Who knows how much earlier I could've caught this if I had just been a little braver.
And there it is, my commercial for staying on top of healthy living. Next up for me: A thyroid ultrasound this Friday morning to make sure my thyroid is nodule free.

4 comments:

Kimba said...

Ugh.mmmmmmmffffff....I've been putting off my annual exam, protesting that I haven't found a doctor down here. And I know, I know, it's not that bad, just get it over with all nice and quick like a bandaid. But yeah, having someone shine a light up my nether regions? Not something I look forward to. So glad you got it done though, it gives me some extra motivation to get mine scheduled. Oh, and by the way? I've missed you.... :)

Anonymous said...

OH HEALLLTH! j/k!
I am always thinking about the things I need to do to improve my health, but I have yet to put them into consistent action! Good on you!
Hey, I miss you too...What are you doing on the 24th?

Little Momma said...

Years ago, I read something that claimed that thyroid problems were rare, and if someone told you that they had a thyroid problem, it was much more likely that they were making an excuse not to lose weight. When the doctor's office called me and told me that I would have to be on thyroid medication for the rest of my life, I could hardly believe it. I had always been healthy and how could this happen? But that was how it was. Now, when I hear that someone has trouble with their thyroid, I understand. I don't automatically jump to conclusions or make judgments about it. I guess that is one good thing that came of it.

Chelsee said...

I'm glad that you found that out Kjersti. Good luck with that. :)