Saturday, February 18, 2006

Anyone who's been pregnant will probably agree with me that pregnancy dreams are the weirdest dreams you'll ever have in your life. And beyond weird, they're vivid, so much in fact that when I wake up I have to concentrate to decipher if they were just dreams or real memories. Some of them have been very troubling, some of them have been quite comical. But I had one not too long ago that meant a lot to me.

In my dream I had gone to my sister Allison, who was the guru in the dream. (And most of you who know her will admit she is in real life as well.) And I asked her, simply, "What happens to us after we die?" She looked back directly at me and answered, "Nothing. Nothing happens to us after we die. It's the end for us." But then she went on to explain, "That's the reason that having your children is so important. You give the world to them. You need to raise them to look after the world for you after you're gone, and teach them to do the same thing with their children. That's the only way that you live on."
Looking back on the dream, the message seems slightly disturbing. I don't think any of us like to think that we die and that's the end of us. But in the dream it was such a beautiful idea, and made being a parent seem like such an awesome and invaluable experience.

I'm 30 weeks pregnant today, according to AmericanBaby.com, and have 10 weeks and 6 days to go. And I'm pretty much at the point where I want to say, "Alright, that's far enough. Let's put this whole pregnancy thing on pause and I'll do the last ten weeks when I'm really ready." That's not really working out for me though. And even though I know it's partial insanity, another part of me is thinking, "Alright, let's get this going. Bring it on. Let's get this baby out here so I can meet her." I feel like I really have a sense of her personality, though not in a way I can really explain to anyone else, and I think she'll be an awesome person to get to know. I'm excited for all the things that having her will teach me.

And so, at this point I'm left counting down the days and also scared of what it all means. One thing that I can take comfort in is that I have a husband that loves me and already loves and spoils our baby. I have a family that has been more than supportive and helpful through the whole thing, and I have a bunch of friends that are patient with me and get excited with me as the time goes on. So thank you guys for your love and support. I appreciate that I have such an awesome group of people to fall back on.

2 comments:

Allie said...

Thanks for sharing that dream, Kjersti. If dreams are more vivid and real when you're pregnant, I am SCARED, because most of my dreams are already like that now!
I can't wait to see the little bean when she comes. It's gonna rock getting to know her.

Kimba said...

So I guess I'll have like, 10 blogs, but that's only because you won't allow me to leave you a nice little comment unless I am a fellow "blogger". Fine. :) But I do love you and look forward to more lovely ramblings.....