Thank God for Doctors
I am incredibly fortunate because right now, I love my job. I even started full time this week and am working up front doing some of the receptionist work, and I still love it because it teaches me a different side of Medical Assisiting. Receptionists have to put up with a lot and they're asked such a huge range of questions, I think everyone should take a second and appreciate their local business receptionist. It's not just answering phones anymore! :)
Every job has it's irritants, though, and though I risk being dooced (for those of you who don't know, that means getting fired from your job for talking candidly about it on your blog) I think I should just list a few pointers so that the people I love will be better patients. Here are a list of my worktime pet peeves. If you do these, STOP.
1. When I call you back to go to your room and we stop at the scale, PLEASE do not let the words that come out of your mouth be, "Do I have to?" This is a question you can answer all on your own. Look at me. I'm nearly 8 months pregnant. If you refuse to stand on the scale I'm hardly going to pick you up and stand you on it and hold you there until you hold still. NO, YOU DON'T HAVE TO. Will it really irritate all of us if you don't? Probably. And when you stand there and your weight comes up, you don't need to explain to me why you weigh that much. Here's a hint....I really don't care. Honestly, I don't.
2. If you are consistantly taking a medication, please know what it's called. I know that I should know the medications better than I do. But ask Allison, there's a few more than you can just memorize over the weekend. So please, when I'm verifying your medications, don't say, "Well what's that one for?" And PLEASE don't say, "Well, is that the little blue one?" You put them in your mouth and swallow them. PLEASE be responsible enough to know what they're called.
3. It might not be common knowledge to everyone, but keep this is mind for me. Normal blood pressure is 120\80 - 130\90. If I check your blood pressure and tell you it's 182\102, please don't say, "Well is that bad?" Yeah. It's bad. It totally blows. But, alongside this point, you also don't need to explain to me why your blood pressure is high. Why? Because I don't care. Explaining it to me isn't gonna help you.
4. Don't yell at your medical assistant and then act really sweet to the doctor. It's not a huge deal, but it's just kinda irritating. And here's a tip. You come to see the doctor, but the medical assistants keep the office running. And when the doctor comes out and tells us to set up your colonoscopy....you might want to wish you had been a little bit nicer. I'm not saying ANY MA would put you through a miserable experience because we feel like it, but the honest truth of it is, we could if we wanted to. So don't tempt us. :)
Again, this is not me complaining about my job. If every patient of every day did all this stuff, I'd still love it. But keep it in mind. It will keep your next doctor's appointment running that much smoother.
Thursday, February 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Ha ha! I went to my yearly just a couple of days ago, and when they wanted to get my weight, I didn't say, "Do I have to?" But I DID say, "Here comes the sad part." Ha ha! Would that have pissed you off too, or just made you laugh?
I'm glad you're liking your job so much. I hope you're still thinking about going on and getting your PA some day. Either way, you can work for me.
"You put them in your mouth and swallow them. PLEASE be responsible enough to know what they're called." LMAO! THAT is SO TRUE!! I know the nurses in the ER hated it when the patient would say, "I take something for my blood pressure." And they would expect the nurse to just list off the names of all of the BP medications until they heard one they recognized. DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY BLOOD PRESSURE MEDICATIONS THERE ARE???? And without fail, the nurse would name one, and the patient would say, "I think that's it. Is it a little blue pill?"
I second you on the receptionist stuff. My biggest pet peeve when I was working for my Dad was when people would call in for the survey manager, but ramble off to me about their property lines, and how their neighbor was encroaching upon their property and bla bla bla...I'd try to interrupt them to say "let me get him for you" but they didn't seem to care. I wanted to scream "I haven't been to school to be a surveyor, I have no idea what you're talking about!!!".
You want to know my biggest work pet peeve? Know-it-alls. Especially ones that believe that not only do they know EVERYTHING, but that their way is the ONLY WAY something can be done.
Dude, my work is like that too. I work with an attorney who has the exact same name as a CRIMINAL attorney... and WITHOUT FAIL we get people making their ONE PHONE CALL to the wrong guy. And I say, hey, you've got called the wrong law office... and the stupid criminals that they are, they say, "Well then maybe you can help me." What the hell do they expect me to do? Send brownies for your stay? If you're dumb enough to get your ass thrown in jail then I guess it really is too much to expect for you to understand that when I say you've got the wrong attorney, that you would just keep on giving your lame-ass sob story about why you're innocent.
Too bad you've wasted your one and only call on someone who doesn't giving a freaking crap.
Kjersti, I just noticed that your recent blog entry was posted at 5 am. Please tell me you weren't really up that early!!!!
Don't you just love it when someone wants to talk to, not just anybody in the company, but the PRESIDENT AND CEO about "a great business opportunity." And just like I was born yesterday and should totally believe this, he gets all offended when I ask for his name and the name of his company. And if I ask for more details about his great business opportunity, he gets all rude and abrupt, like "DAVE" (Mr. Groen hates being called Dave)is his best friend and will fire me if I don't put him through immediately, like I haven't heard it all and he can intimidate me. He doesn't seem to get it that I hold all the power in this situation and if I don't want to put his call through, he ain't gettin' through. I have a newsflash for you, buddy. If you aren't nice to me, you're going down...
And no, Kjersti, this post is not lame. It's just so true that it's hilarious. I was a receptionist for eight years and I know. And I have some wisdom for you. If someone calls and just wants you to "check the model number on the copier," JUST HANG UP. It's a scam and if you give them any information at all, you'll get three years worth of toner in the mail that you didn't order, but the invoice for $2000.00 is DUE NOW. This could be hazardous to your job security.
Kjerst I love that I can read what you write and know exactly how you would say that if you were actually talking to me. :) Your words are dripping with sarcasim.. I find it quite funny. :)
Post a Comment