So they say that bad news comes in three's, and I've heard that, of course, but today is the day I got to see it in action. It went like this. This morning when I left for work I was driving down Orchard Drive listening to "Sexy Back" by Justin Timberlake, and no I'm not ashamed to admit that. But while I was driving, the radio shut off all by itself. Fortunately, (I guess) this is something that has happened to me before, and so I knew that radio shutting itself off = car breaking down in about 10 minutes. So I turned around and made it home, luckilly. When Jay went out to check on the car, it wouldn't start at all. Bad luck item #1.
Well, Jay and I had both Kameryn and Isaac today, and it was kinda nice because they were both so good I got the dishes done while Jay folded laundry. I asked him at one point to put in another load, which he did, and I was amazed at how quickly it ran through the cycle. Well, I opened the lid to find that it hadn't completed the cycle, it had just decided to take a break. Leaving the clothes rinsed, but still in the water. So we don't know what's wrong with the washer, but it's not working either.
So we thought that was pretty bad luck but we were almost able to laugh about it, until our self-inflicted #3. Self-inflicted by ME. I was thinking to myself, "I've got to get those clothes out of the water so they don't get mildew-y. Because then in order to get rid of the smell we'd have to wash them, which we now cannot do." So I spent 25 minutes pulling the clothes out of the washer, ringing them out and throwing them into the dryer. After I was done I pulled out a dryer sheet and turned the dryer on. I knew we'd have to dry the load a couple times since they were so much wetter than usual, but hey, at least the dryer worked.
Well, the dryer turned about 3 times, and it was almost like it went in slow motion, because I was listening to it, I realized the soaking wet clothes were WAY too heavy for the dryer to handle and I was reaching out to turn it off again when it shut itself off. And it won't start again. Probably blew a fuse. So that's my number 3.
We have less than a week until Christmas and Jay and I had been stressing about money a bit anyway, before today.
But thinking about it tonight I really can't help but think about how fortunate I am because of everything I have. My baby is beautiful and smart and HEALTHY, which is something I am so deeply grateful for. I have a husband that I love and he's an awesome father to our baby. I have an incredibly entertaining family who are healthy and getting together soon, which always makes for an interesting time. And I have Allison who is going to come home, and together with her and our singing we'll be able to make everyone around us feel the Christmas spirit.
So instead of repeatedly kicking things, I think I'm going to focus on the positives in this situation. And hey, what's the worst that can happen? Jay and I will turn into hippies and walk everywhere we go, (no offence Wes!) we can grow our hair out into dreadlocks and our clothes will smell a little bit funny. Even then, I think as long as we know deep down in our hearts that the ox and lamb are keeping time, we'll be fine.
Wednesday, December 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I am so sorry Kjersti! You could always grab a shopping cart, put all of your dirty clothes in it, and walk up to our house to do them! People in Salt Lake do it all of the time! :)
Ohmigosh!!!!!!! First off, holy crap. Second? I can't believe how well you're taking this! I would be in a corner BAWLING. And swatting at the dog to LEAVE ME THE FREAK ALONE! I've been slowly freaking out for days about our own money situation, but it seems I need to take a lesson from The Master. :) AND? My parents SO TOTALLY have two working washers and dryers (is there a better way to put that pluraly? Is pluraly a word?) and I can come pick you up and you can wash all your clothes at our house! And hey! No workie! :) Good and bad I know...
Chelsee made it sound like homeless people come to our house to do their laundry all the time, which is not the case, but Kjersti, you would be welcome to come and do yours! Bless your heart, there are days like this even in Australia.
I think it was almost exactly a year ago that my last car broke down. But I wasn't playing JT in it so it didn't commit suicide like your car.
Anyway, It's good you have such a good family support system so close to lean on. It gets you through the hard times.
Kjersti, you KILL me! I love reading your blogs, you always make me laugh.
I'm glad your car is better now and your washer and dryer have fixed themselves after taking a break.
Post a Comment