Friday, December 01, 2006

The Beep

One of my main jobs at work is refills. I get the voicemails and the faxes that people and pharmacies send us asking for prescription refills, I put them into the computer and send them to the doctors for approval, and then once they're approved the doctors send them BACK to me, I call the pharmacies to let them know to refill the meds and I also call the patients to say, "Hey, I just called in your refill." It doesn't sound all that fun, and most days it's probably a little less fun than it sounds. But hey, someone has to get zoloft, ritalin, viagra, crestor and hydrochlorothiazide out to the masses, and in this case, that person is me.
Which leads me to yet another work-related pet peeve:
When I call the patient to let them know their prescription is ready, I don't mind getting the answering machine, except for in the following situations:

"You have reached (phone number, area code first, is read off very slowly)
We are unavailable. (Or screening your calls, who are we kidding here.)
Please leave your name, number and a brief message." (Um, yeah, trust me, this isn't my first rodeo. I think I've got this leaving a message thing down. But thanks for the refreshing reminder.)
Then, another automated voice kicks in which starts with, "If you'd like to leave a call back number, press 5 now. If you'd like to page this person, press 7 now. Otherwise, please wait for the beep."
BEEP.

I, for one, vote AGAINST rambling answering machines. I know there are some people who would honestly be lost without the prompts, though. It's like the stupid caution warnings on everything now. "You mean this little white package that came with my new pair of shoes ISN'T something I should eat?" I can see the chaos that could ensue if phones were just randomly beeping at people without first explaining what to do and how to handle said beep.

That said, I personally am a big fan of, "Hey, it's me. Do your thing." BEEP. I guess that's just how I roll.

4 comments:

Kimba said...

AUGH! THE ATTACK OF THE BEEP! So....I totally agree with you. I used to tease Kathy about her answering machine, she'd always try and do something funny....or like, record something from a MOVIE....I was like "Kathy. Say "Hi, It's Kathy. Leave me a message and I'll call ya back" or something. Still hasn't got it down yet....and I tease her every time I leave a message.

HOWEVER. If someone made a little song? Like George on Seinfeld? I'd probably enjoy it. Cause that's a funny song.

Allie said...

"This is Allie:

I'm either cutting something up in the anatomy lab, blowing something up in the chemistry lab, or out partying right now.

If you want me to study your anatomy, press 1.

If you think we have chemistry and you want to work on it, press 2.

If you want to invite me to party with you, press 3.

If you want to leave a message, you can do that after the beep.
BEEP!"

Chelsee said...

My answering machine says, "Hey, this is me. Leave me a message." BEEP

Short and to the point, although I am guilty of sometimes recording parts of songs or movie clips... :)

I love Allie's answering machine though! If I was in med school, I would totally change my answering machine right now!!

Danae said...

Kjersti, sometimes you talk like a gangsta... I kinda dig it.