Friday, May 11, 2007

In No Hurry

One funny thing about me is that I'm in no rush to buy a house. I know all the perks, like getting equity and not throwing your money away by stuffing it into a landlord's pockets. Even knowing that, it's not a current strong desire for me, I'm happy to wait.

I think the reason is that I can only take so much permanence at a time. Getting married took some getting used to, and having a baby has taken away any more desire I have to completely define myself. I'd rather keep that aspect of my life open for now, not deciding on where I want to permanently be.

However, the one thing that makes me re-think it all is my upstairs neighbors. We received a nasty note one morning about how they have to listen to Jay's alarm go off at night, sometimes for minutes at a time, and they didn't say anything to us about it for over a year because they didn't want to cause problems, but if it happens again where they have to listen to it longer than they deem necessary, they won't hesitate to call the police.

I hate to admit how much the letter got to me, but it did. I'm constantly thinking now about how loud we're being, and if I'm in Kami's room when Jay's alarm goes off, I wait in agony until he turns it off. They were trying to bully me, and I took it, and still do.

The hardest part of all of it is when Kami cries in the middle of the night. Her doctor said I should let her be so she'll learn to sleep in bed by herself, but when it happens I bring her into bed with me to keep her quiet. The worst was when she was teething. She would cry and there wasn't anything I could do to stop it, and the whole time I would imagine what was going on upstairs.

That part of it would make getting a house a huge improvment, and until then, I need to figure out how to handle the upstairs neighbors.

1 comment:

Danae said...

Having silence is defintely worth buying a house, in my opinion. I HATED listening to people around me, and when you're in an apartment, everyone is guiltyn of being loud and making noise at some point. No one is ever quiet all of the time. I think you should remind your neighbors that you don't LIKE listening to the pipes every time they flush the toilet, but you put up with it, so they need to deal with Jay's alarm. I think people that rent, of ALL people, should be patient with each other.

Anyway, that's my gripe... the whole "cast the first stone" mentality.