It's interesting when I think of all the ways that Jay and I have affected each other's lives. There's obviously the big things, like we have a kid together for example, but then there's also other more subtle changes we've made that we may not have if we hadn't met.
For example, before Jay met me he was convinced that he HATED Chinese food. I would suggest it for dinner and he would flat out refuse. But I kept pushing until he tried it, because honestly, how can you not like an entire GENRE of food?! Come on, there's got to be SOMETHING tolerable. (Pay close attention, Chelsee. You like rice, you like cheese, so chances are there is SOME Mexican food you like.) Now, Jay is an addict. Any time he goes to lunch by himself, he goes to Panda Express. Often even if he's had it for lunch and we're going to dinner, he will suggest Panda. My mom got him a gift card to Panda for Christmas last year, and I think he had it spend by, say, Jan. 1.
Jay also hadn't discovered his love for Pink Floyd until he met me, and now he can sing along with Roger Waters with the best of them.
Jay has influenced me in a lot of ways, one of which is him helping me with my sense of direction. I'm not proud of it, but I'm directionally challenged. A lot of times after walking into a building I've never been in before, I don't know how to find my way back out. Jay, on the other hand, is the type that if he goes somewhere once, chances are he can get back. Even if it's miles away and three years later. So, after lots of patience and a lot of laughing at my expense, I can at least say I'm a LITTLE bit better at directions. Which basically translates to I've gone from the sense of a first grader to a third. And sometimes I know which way is North.
Also, I've grown an appreciation for The Smashing Pumpkins which I don't think I would have otherwise. Thanks to Jay they've completely grown on me. Even "Bullet with Butterfly Wings."
One thing that I haven't been sold on yet is camping. His parents think I'm crazy because I don't get immediate thrill out of the thought of setting up a tent and building a fire. I can't believe anyone would look forward to sleeping on the ground and peeing in a hole. Give me a hotel or a motel ANYWHERE and I'll be more content than spending the night on the cold ground.
That said, we currently have plans to go CAMPING the first week of June. We're going to South Dakota, which is the part that makes it tolerable for me, but in the back of my mind I'm also dreading the point in time where Kameryn realizes, No, there is no crib. But that sleeping bag?! It's all yours.
I'll be very interested to see if during my marriage I warm to the idea of camping, or if it turns into something that we just can't compromise on.
Thursday, May 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment