Last time we went to my regular Dr.'s appointment, Dr. Mears was listening to Kameryn's heart and noticed that it skipped a beat. She gave me an ultrasound and set me up to a monitor, which for those of you who don't know is basically them velcro-ing a microphone to your stomach and listening to the baby's heartbeat, but it also prints out a paper like an EKG machine. She said that from what she could tell Kameryn Lee looked okay, her heart had great fluctuations and she could tell by the ultrasound that she was swallowing the ambiotic fluid like she should, but she still wanted to send me to a specialist.
So this Friday I went to the Woman's Pavillion at St. Mark's hospital to have a specialist look at her heart. We didn't geta doctor right away, we hada sonographer come in and look at her first, and despite it being a nerve-racking visit to see if my baby was in distress, he made it kind-of fun. He measured Kameryn's head and brain, her abdomen and checked her kidneys, stomach, liver and bladder, checked her legs, verified that she was a girl, looked at my placenta which is perfectly placed, and also looked at the blood flow coming in from the umbilical cord, which also looks good. My favorite part was when he showed us her face. She's got big ol' chubby cheeks! We couldn't see down past her top lip because she had her arm up over her face sucking on her wrist. She looked so sweet, it was fun to see her move, but she definatly had an attitude as well. She kept kicking when the sonographer would press on her. I couldn't help lauhging. She's always been an active baby. She seems to catch doctors off guard with her attentiveness and reactions.
They did have to have another doctor come in and do another ultrasound, but they've determined that her heart is okay. It beats normally, and then after about 6 normal beats it gets ahead of itself and wants to fire off a beat before it should. Then it sounds like it skips the beat, but it's the heart catching itself back up, and then she beats normally again. They say it's something we should watch, but she'll probably be fine, we just need to make sure that her heart doesn't continue to get faster. He says he wants me on the baby monitor at my regular doctors office every week and for 30 minutes each time, but he's not too worried about it.
So, luckilly she's doing well and we don't have to worry about her coming early. Which is good, because I still can't completely grasp the fact that I'm having a baby and I only have 5 weeks and 6 days left! I already can't believe how fast it goes by, I see Danae sick in her first trimester and Jay will tell me, "You were the same way!" And I don't remember it. Hopefully that will be true of labor, too. Danae will be like, "Oh man, it was awful! It hurt so much!" And I'll be like, "Did it?" Maybe that's why you're so sleep deprived after having a baby, they need to wipe away your memories of labor if they want any brothers or sisters!
Saturday, March 25, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I AM SO GLAD SHE IS OKAY!!!!!!! Also that you didn't have to deliver early. :) Phew! One more month!!! :)
I loved the ultrasound pictures of Kameryn sucking on her arm! I love that little girl so much already! I want her to come out! I also want her to have black hair, can you fix that for me, Kjersti?
Post a Comment