
And how, you ask, did I dress up as this distinguished black man? I pulled my hair up into a top-hat that my sister had. Obviously, the judges had good imaginations.
The only thing I really remember about my speech was saying that men often treated their dogs better than they treated their wives.
But, top hat and all, we must've pulled it off because we ended up winning first place, which was a big deal because we were competing against other schools.
I know it must sound kinda strange, but I've always felt a sort of kinship with all things Frederick Douglass since then. And I can't help but think of him now that we have the opportunity to vote tomorrow.
A couple of my favorites:
"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence."
And simply,
"If there is no struggle, there is no progress."
EVERYONE REMEMBER TO VOTE!!!
4 comments:
Awesome! What an amazing man he was and good on you for taking on such a role. Thank you for the wonderful quotes!
I remember thinking it was SO COOL that everyone else was at school and we were at the mall. Which I think was because we were awaiting results? Or something? I have no idea, I just remember thinking that as we entered like, a Mervyn's lingerie department. I remember that part, because I was like, "Hmm...it's about time I get that "training bra"...". Good times...
I, too, am impressed by Frederick Douglass. His speech "What to the Slave Is the Fourth Of July?" is particularly chilling.
You might also like the poem "Frederick Douglass" by Paul Laurence Dunbar.
I think I still have the certificate that you got from winning that competition. Oh, yeah. I saved it all. Next time you come over, I can give it to you along with a LOT of other things.
Post a Comment