Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Political Rant

I'll keep this short. And I also posted pictures from Halloween so anyone who wants to skip this part can still have a blog post for the night.
I was thinking about Obama being our first black President and how much that means. I know it's such an amazing point in history and I'm SO PROUD to be alive in a time when things are looking up and people are being more tolerant. So I keep asking myself why I'm not more excited about it. And the answer is simply that civil rights weren't my battle. I feel like the battle was already won by the time I came around, and it's not entirely shocking to me to see a black President because even though I KNOW how far we've come, I haven't ever seen it from the other side.
My battle is for gay rights. It's hard for me to understand how people can celebrate how far we've come in electing a black President and at the same time pat themselves on the back for being so intolerant of another group of people. That's what I want to fight for. That's the battle of my generation.

5 comments:

Abby said...

And I don't understand how people can support abortion, yet think that defending our country through war is wrong.

Kjersti said...

I've never thought about that. Interesting.

L Chang said...

Kjersti, I feel basically the same way. We just didn't see or hear much about any racial issues here in Utah.
Proposition 8, all I can say is that I am disappointed to know that we have the power to take away the rights to "...life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness..." from good people. But, the fact that the sanctity of marriage is being questioned and twisted...all I can say is that our children are going to grow up in confusing and difficult times.

Chelsee said...

I'm with you Kjersti! I am so excited that Obama won, but I am really disappointed that Prop. 8 passed. I have a friend in California that was really disappointed. We will keep working at it, and maybe, someday soon, people will "let people love who they want to love." Love you!

Allie said...

I don't know which emotion I feel more strongly--excitement about Obama being elected president, or sadness about proposition 8 passing.