I started a book tonight that I absolutely love. It's called "The Tipping Point, How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference." My friend Abby recommended it to me, and after Kameryn and Jay both went to bed early tonight I sat down with it and a Dr. Pepper to get my book-reading in for February.
I'm the kind of person who took a psychology class at Wever State and would read ahead in the book because I loved the content and all of the studies they had done, and this book is a lot like that, filled with scientific studies on how and why epidemics start. The thing I might love most about it, though, is that to prove their points they reference things like "The Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" and Sesame Street. I sat down with it tonight thinking I'd read the introduction, blog, and get in bed early. In reality, I couldn't make myself stop reading and when I FINALLY put the book down, I realized I'm halfway through.
So thank you for the recommendation, Abs. It was spot on. And thanks for getting it for me for Christmas, Mom! You're the best! And for anyone who wants to borrow it after I'm done, I think I'll be done by Monday. And I love that I'm being serious about that.
I think this book is good in the same way the movie "Thank You For Smoking" is good in that it has a really good point that makes you think, but is also completely entertaining the whole way through. And if you haven't seen "Thank You For Smoking," call me and we can fix that, too.
Thursday, February 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I always loved books that referenced things from the culture. For example, when I was younger and reading the Animorphs series, one of my favorite things about it was that they made reference to Xena all the time! I loved it! :)
I haven't seen it... call me and we'll make it a date!
Steve and I just watched "Thank You for Smoking" last weekend. We both thought it was great.
Post a Comment