Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Guilt Filled Story #1... Let's Hope, For My Sanity, These Are Few and Far Between

I am an overprotective mom. There, I've said it. However, I think there's some reason to my over-protectiveness, and the reasons are usually things like I don't want to see Kameryn tumble head first off the bed or couch or anything that is off the ground. The "over" part of the overprotectiveness is that I react when Kameryn still has a good foot before she's near the edge of the couch. It's mostly when I see it out of the corner of my eye and don't have the depth perception about how close she really is, but I'm still really jumpy. It makes me a little bit nuts sometimes.

I remember when I decided to stop breastfeeding when Kameryn was two months old I would tell people that I felt guilty about it, and I had someone say, "Don't worry about it. There will be times when things happen to your kids that you SHOULD blame yourself for, but this isn't something to dwell on."

Just the other day I was thinking about how nothing like that had happened yet. Kameryn has gotten little bumps and scratches, but nothing I felt really guilty about.

And then tonight.

Jay has just taken Shepard's Pie out of the oven, dished some up and I'm just waiting to eat it. I've got Kameryn on my lap, and I swear it happened so fast at first, she grabbed a big handful of steaming hot food, burying her hand in it.

It takes a minute, and then she starts to scream. And you would think, I would think that I would know how to react. You know, medical assistant, I'm supposed to keep my cool. Nope. She starts screaming, and so do I. "JAY! HELP ME!" Because for some reason I'm staring at her little hand and have no idea what to do next.

So he grabs a nearby blanket and gets all the food off her hand as quick as he can, and by that time I'm rushing her to the kitchen to run cold water over her hand.

She screamed for awhile. With Kameryn, when she gets hurt she has this angry-yet-pathetic scream when she gets shots or hurt in any way, and it almost sounds like, "All I've ever done is love you and kiss you! Why have you let this happen?!" It's kinda heartbreaking. Thankfully, though, after we ran cold water on it she was back to playing. It seemed a little red, but didn't blister, so I think she'll be okay.

However, the aforementioned overprotectiveness has gone THROUGH THE ROOF. The fact that she is now crawling around doesn't help at all, and I think I may need some Xanax.

5 comments:

Kjersti said...

That makes me sound so official. That's right, I'm this blog's administrator. Don't leave lame-ass comments or this same thing could happen to YOU!

Danae said...

Oh, Sweetie!! I'm so sorry that happened! I completely know how you feel. Issac is 4 months old today and his appointment is tomorrow for all his shots... I'm partly really relieved that I have to work so I don't have to be there when they stick him, but I also feel really bad that I won't be there to hold him afterwards and make him feel better.

I'm really glad that Kami is ok. It would be nice if we could say that she's learned now and she won't do it again, but I don't know that she's at the age to understand consequences just yet. I'll come over and give her lots of love and kisses and she'll never even remember it happened! :)

Allie said...

She gets that reaching-for-hot-things-and burning-her-hand thing from you, BTW.

I'm sad to hear that Kami got hurt. You almost made me cry with the, "All I've ever done was give you love and kisses" part. =( I'm glad that she's going to be okay.

Allie said...

*(Please don't let her delete my comment! I tried not to make it lame.)*

Chelsee said...

I am so sorry! I am just glad that at the end of this blog you didn't add in that I helped teach her how to crawl... then I really would have felt bad!