Sunday, February 04, 2007

Fateful Signs of Destiny

I don't know if I'm the kind of person who believes in signs. Or fate, or destiny. Even though I'm a little romanced by the idea, I don't think it's fair for the people who have to live through tragedies.

But if I did believe in signs, I would be pretty convinced that "fate" is trying to give me a hard slap in the face.

I said at the beginning of the year that I wanted 2007 to be a year of change, and it seemed to come up in work when my manager came to me and asked if I wanted to start being a full-time employee. I got excited about the idea and talked to Jay, who also really supported it. My manager had told me how much they would give me an hour with a hefty raise, and Jay and I were both excited and anxious to have me work full time. He was going to quit his job and get a part time job so he could still watch the babies, and we were going to try to get him into school.

Well, I went on Friday and told my manager I would do it, and she came back at me with, "Um, that's not going to work after all."

At that point, the idea was planted, and Jay and I were both very disappointed when it didn't work out.

So I told Jay I thought maybe I should look for a full time job somewhere closer, and maybe we should get a paper on Sunday so I could see what was available.

Well, this morning when Jay was taking the garbage out, he saw that someone had thrown a Sunday paper onto our porch. Probably by accident. But we brought it inside.

Then we went and spent our Sunday with family, playing some games and watching the Superbowl. When we got home the paper was still sitting here, and Jay opened it while he made himself a snack. He was reading off job opportunites and there are a lot of them, full time, some of them say there's benefits. I'm still scared to make a big change like this, but I want to get my resume updated tomorrow to see what happens. I don't think I would be saying that if things hadn't worked out exactly the way they have, but they did.

So wish me luck!

2 comments:

Kimba said...

I believe that we set our own destinies. :) I also believe, that sometimes, things are just handed to us. You know, to sort of prod us along.
It's scary to start a new chapter - even to entertain the idea sometimes. As someone who is starting something new, I can attest!
Good luck Kjersti. I truly believe that you can find something perfect for you!

Danae said...

I agree with Kim. I think you can take charge of your own future, and I know it's scary (I'm facing the fear every day myself) but it's also very exciting. To me, this is what living life means. Not to stay in one place your whole life, but to move on and experience new things. I know you and Jay would have fun in Vegas, and who knows what will come after Vegas... maybe Seattle??