It's getting late, and as a cheater blog I'll write a paragraph from the book I'm reading called "The Book of Lost Things:"
"Stories were different, though: they came alive in the telling. Without a human voice to read them aloud, or a pair of wide eyes following them by flashlight beneath a blanket, they had no real existance in our world. They were like seeds in the beak of a bird, waiting to fall to earth, or the notes of a song laid out on a sheet, yearning for an instrument to bring their music into being. They lay dormant, hoping for the change to emerge. Once someone started to read them, they could begin to change. The could take root in the imagination, and transform the reader. Stories wanted to be read, David's mother would whisper. They needed it. It was the reason they forced themselves from their world into ours. They wanted us to give them life."
I think the book I would say has influenced me the most, up to this point, is "To Kill a Mockingbird." I hope Kameryn doesn't get sick of me telling her how her middle name is after Harper Lee's last name, and how she was born one day after Harper. The book itself is a masterpiece, it kept me completely enthralled the whole way through.
Friday, February 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Mmmm! I love books that talk like that! Is it good? Should I add it to my list of books to read?!
I thought Kameryn's middle name was after your favorite civil war general! You lied to me!
Post a Comment