Sunday, February 18, 2007

Two of Five, and Today's Other Events

Today Jay, Chelsee, Kameryn and I all went to see "The Queen," the second movie I've seen of the five nominated for Best Picture. And first of all, I have to say that Kameryn is banned from coming to any more movies with us. She wasn't bad, per say, she didn't CRY, she just wanted to talk and scream through the movie, so Jay missed the first parts of it outside with her, and I watched the end of the movie down near the exit.

From what I saw, I really liked it. I told mom today, though, that I don't like recommending movies on my blog because I think I don't do the movies justice. But I thought this was a good movie, really well acted, and I thought it was interesting that even though it doesn't seem like it at first, it actually tells the movie from both points of view, both the people's and the monarchies. I really liked it, and I think Helen Mirren will deserve it if she gets an Oscar for best actress.

After we saw the movie Chelsee wanted to go take pictures at Trolley Square for a photography assignment, so we went downtown. I was actually surprised by how many bouquets of flowers there were outside, along with notes and candles and even a shirt and a dreamcatcher. After she took some pictures outside, Jay wanted to go in. I know it's probably a little rediculous, but I was scared. I know I was probably as safe there as I am anywhere, but I still felt uneasy. I think the thing that may have bothered me the most inside was how normal it felt, besides flowers and notes left in different places, and Pottery Barn Kids was boarded up completely since we've found out that it was where the gunman was shot down. It was weird to know that something so terrible had happened in that place that I had been so many times before.

I think the worst of it was when we got to the gift shop where 5 people were shot. The glass was still boarded up, the store was closed, but inside were notes and flowers and things from the families to the people who had died inside. I couldn't help crying when I read them. It felt almost wrong to be there, insensitive in a way, like driving by a car accident you know is serious craning your neck to get a better look instead of respecting it.

Afterward we drove to a place we had seen while driving to Trolley Square. It caught our eye because of all the Catholic "Saint" candles, and Jay remembered hearing about it a few years ago; there were steps up so you could get a good look, and people claimed to have seen an image of the Virgin Mary in the tree. So we stopped and looked, but none of us saw anything but a tree trunk, and even the picture of what it had been before didn't serve as too much help since it had been there so long and there were water-droplets inside the frame.

It was a good day today, warm and beautiful. It was nice to get out of the house. I hope it stays as warm as it's been.

2 comments:

Chelsee said...

Thank you for coming with me. I was a little scared to go into Trolley Square too. I didn't know all that stuff was inside, and it made me cry to read some of the letters and cards, see the drawings and all the flowers left for the victims. I think that the most touching ones are the ones that were left where the people were actually shot. It made me really sad and I felt kind of bad about taking pictures of that...

I liked the Queen too. I felt really bad that you and Jay had to keep getting up to take Kameryn out. I think you were right to say it is like V for Vendetta backwards, instead of the people being afraid of the government, it was the government afraid of the people.

Danae said...

You know, I don't go to Trolley Square very often at all... usually only if I want to eat at The Old Spaghetti Factory. I don't think I could handle the emotion of going and seeing everything that has been left. On my way to work, there is a small cross on the side of the road were I assume someone was killed in a car accident. I've been passing it for months, and there are ALWAYS candles or balloons there. I'm sure it's hard for the family of the victim, but also kinda nice at the same time that someone continues to do something to remember their loved one. I think in that way, they WANT you to go back to Trolley Square, so in a way the spirit of their loved one will live on. I hope that makes a little sense...