Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Insight

The other day when we were in the middle of a procedure the wife of our patient said something about how women are stronger than men. (For the record, I used to love jabs like that against guys, I thought it was really cool, but now I think it's kinda sad.)
My doctor said something I've never really thought about. He simply responded with, "I think men just go through life assuming they're never going to have to feel pain, where women understand they'll feel it sooner or later. Women have to come in for their pap smears and know they'll go into labor after they get pregnant. Guys aren't that way."
What do you think?

2 comments:

Kimba said...

You know, I'd never thought of that before, but I agree. It seems like every time Caleb is in some kind of pain or is sick he almost seems surprised by it. I always tease him that he is the worst patient because he can't stop telling me about how horrible it is, but won't let me do anything to help him.
And as much as I'd love to believe that I'm stronger than a man, I'm not. :) All the proof I need is in my puny little arms.

Danae said...

Strength and pain tolerance are a little different, though. I think your doctor is very smart, Kjersti. That's a good way to look at it. You know me, I always complain how Gary's 'belly ache' cost us $1,200. A woman would have toughed it out and NOT gone to the hospital for a tummy ache.