Friday, March 09, 2007

Opportunities

Earlier this week I had an interview with a man from the management firm that will be taking over my clinic. See, I work for two family pratice doctors, and recently one of them decided to go and work up North, while the other one is still going to work at the clinic. The one who's staying is trying to get another doctor or PA in as soon as he can, and he's also hired this management company to help him. They interviewed everyone and at the end will write a report suggesting changes and also focusing on what he should strive to keep.

As I said, my interview was earlier this week, and it went really well despite the fact that it wasn't what I was expecting at all.

As I was talking to him he asked if the doctor who is going North had tol me anything about his plans, and I told him the truth; he has asked me to go with him. He told me he's not sure he can bring me along and he doesn't know how much they'd pay me, but there were two people from my clinic that he wanted to take with him, and I was one of them. (How flattering is that?!) As I was telling the manager how I wanted to go but it wasn't a certainty, he said simply, "I can help you with that." Turns out he worked with the man that would be my boss for 12 years and he's more than happy to call him and tell him what he knows about me.

We went on to talk about how long I've worked at my current clinic and that got us talking about the commute. I told him that sometimes I wish I worked closer to home, especially during the winter. To this he replied that he helps doctors all over with their practices, and he knows of a doctor a lot closer to me who needs good help and told me that if I end up wanting something closer to home, he could recommend me to this other doctor.

We continued talking and we started discussing things I would like to see happen if I were to stay, and one of the things I mentioned was that I would love to take the course so I would be certified to take X-rays, and he told me if I were to stay at the clinic I'm at, he would make sure that they would pay for me to take the course.

It also sounds pretty certain that Danae, Gary and Isaac are heading down to Vegas, and I really want to go with them!

I started this year wanting to change things, and now I seem to have my choices laid out in pretty little piles, just waiting for me to choose one. Interesting.

1 comment:

Danae said...

I think this is great, Kjersti. I'm proud of you first of all for finishing your MA schooling, and for also being so good at it that the people you work with are willing to take you with them when they leave. It says a lot about you.

The one thing I wouuld recommend is that if you end up staying here, DON'T put off deciding what you want to do. Offers like this don't come around often, and if you have someone willing to go to bat for you, jump on it. I'm sure it would help you to be closer to home, you'd have a shorter commute and you'd also get to spend more time with Kameryn since you wouldn't have to leave as early.

Anyway, I'm proud of you, no matter what you decide to do.