I've been thinking about what I should write about tonight and I can't seem to narrow it down to one thing. So I'm going to try to narrow it down to a couple short thoughts, and we'll see how that goes.
The first thing I should tell you is that (and I feel like I should be walking into a Confessional Booth at this point, even though I'm not Catholic) I didn't vote yesterday. It's actually something I'm really ashamed of. I strongly believe in voting. Even as a "Democratic Liberal" in a Republican state. I put that last title in quotation marks because I don't know for sure that it's a title that necessarily applies to me, but a friend told me that's what I was. And he said it like he had to spit out the words. And it was mostly because I didn't think someone should be tied to a fence and beaten to death just because they're gay. But, moving on...
So I didn't vote, and I'm ashamed of myself for forgetting.
But getting the news this morning about the Democrats taking over the Senate and the House, and hearing that the Speaker of the House is a woman, I almost hate to admit it, but it was the first time in about 5 years that I've actually been proud of my country. And then to hear that Rumsfield resigned was like icing on the cake for me. I was late for work because I couldn't break myself away from the newscast I was watching. It seems too good to be true.
It's time for change. A LOT of change. Hopefully, that's what we'll get.
So those are my feelings on national news. On a smaller scale, as in my home, I'm happy to report that Kameryn SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT IN HER CRIB last night. It took her about an hour and a half of crying and screaming before she fell asleep, but then once she did it was almost like she understood. She woke up at her usual times, which are 2 and 5 in the morning. I could hear her whine for a bit, but then she went back to sleep. Even when I got up with her at 7 thinking she was probably really hungry, I made her a bottle and she didn't want it, so I laid her in the crib again and she slept until 9:30.
The honest truth of it is that I am SO PROUD of her. I can't believe how big she's getting. And in that light, it makes me a little sad, too, just because I think I'll miss waking up with her and having her look over and smile at me with those big blue eyes.
Tonight she's already in there sleeping. She cried a bit, but nothing compared to last night, and I'm sure by next week she'll be a pro. She's such a fast learner, I can't see it going any other way.
I am constantly astounded by her. She already knows how to give a high five and she's started to learn to make clapping motions when she's happy. And nights like tonight when I get home from work she kisses me, 4 or 5 times. It's funny because I can remember my life without her, but I wonder what I thought the point was. And now that she's here I almost find it funny that I carried her for 9 months and would catch glimpses of her personality, but overall I was unaware of the sweet, charismatic girl I was taking care of. Every mom must feel this way, but I really think she's the best thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm also really touched by how much she loves Isaac. She was kinda grumpy tonight, but anytime Danae showed Isaac to her she got a huge smile on her face and wanted to touch and kiss him. I'm so thrilled with the relationships she's going to have in her life; a family close by who will watch her grow up and love her so much. And I love to see her with Mom, wanting to go to her when she's tired and falling right asleep on her shoulder. Experiences like that are priceless to me.
Wednesday, November 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Kameryn is getting so big! I can't believe that she is actually sleeping in her crib by herself!
She is such a sweetheart, and it's funny because she's SO cute and happy that when she looks at you and smiles, it's almost like she has just deemed you the most important person in the room. She has that much of a connection. I love it when she's at my house and she just STARES at Gary until he pays attention to her. And I also think it's really cute when you are holding Isaac and she screams until you notice her. She certainly likes to have her Mom's full attention!
I can't wait until Isaac is that alert and is able to interact with everyone by smiling or cooing at them. Those moments are so priceless. :)
Unbelievable. I am mad at you for making it sound so easy. (not really) Now I am thinking, "So what was the matter with me?"
Post a Comment