Tonight a co-worker was talking to a patient on the phone, and she said something about making sure they got the right medicine, and I'm not sure what it was about it, but it reminded me of something. It made me think of when Allison would make up her little sugar water concoction and tell us it was medicine. I think it may have worked on me once or twice, but if I remember right it worked wonders with Geoff for a little while. Allie, am I remembering this right?
Also, I remember when I had the chicken pox I would ask Chelsee to get me medicine when I was itching, and of course the medicine was none other than those cherry cough drops that tasted like candy.
Now I think the medicine I like the most is mom and mom's bed. Even still when I'm sick, I want to call and tell mom about it, mostly because just her KNOWING makes it a little bit easier. And there's still something really healing about mom's bed- It really does make you feel better.
I remember when I was little we came home from somewhere and I had a terrible sunburn. I can still remember how badly I was burned on my shoulders and back. We had gotten home at around 2 or 3 in the morning, and one of the first things mom did was go to the store and buy aloe vera to help me feel better. Even then I was really touched that she would do that to help me when we were all so tired.
I think that might be why it helps just to tell mom when I'm not feeling well, because I know that if there was ANYTHING she could do to make me feel better, she would do it.
I hope I can be a mom like that to my sweet Kami.
Thursday, November 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Thank you, Kjersti. What a sweet tribute. I think a mom can't help but do everything she can for her children if they are hurt or sick. Just think about your precious Kameryn being sick or hurt and imagine NOT doing anything you could for her to help her feel better. Think about Danae NOT having a C-section for Isaac's sake or NOT taking him to the doctor when his hands were swollen. It is just in your nature as a mom to do it. And I think I taught my children that mom's bed was a healing place just because that was my last line of defence when there was nothing else I could think of to help my children feel better. And I think IT WORKS, too, maybe because we all believe it will.
Water, sugar, and a little imitation vanilla. That stuff will cure anything!
If it helped at all when the kids were sick, it was because of:
a) placebo effect
b) it was so sweet that you drank a lot of it and it helped hydrate you
c) it really was made with love, and I'd like to think that love can heal
Kjersti, did you ask me, or did you pretend to be asleep and have your hand ask me to go get it? I fell for that everytime!!
I agree about the mom's bed thing. Whenever I am sick, laying on mom's bed always make me feel better. Thanks mom, your my mom.
I remember Allie's potion too. And I agree with all of the above reasons for why it worked. Thanks Allie!
Kjersti, did you ask me, or did you pretend to be asleep and have your hand ask me to go get it? I fell for that everytime!!
I agree about the mom's bed thing. Whenever I am sick, laying on mom's bed always make me feel better. Thanks mom, your my mom.
I remember Allie's potion too. And I agree with all of the above reasons for why it worked. Thanks Allie!
Post a Comment