A large part of my day today was spent in stores searching for the perfect presents, spending money I don't really have and getting in the way of people I don't know. Today was fun, though, because we got presents for Kameryn and our nephew Xander, and Danae was with us so she helped keep things fun and interesting. Despite traffic getting worse, parking spots becoming harder to find, the weather getting colder and the Y winning in the last 3 seconds of the freaking game, I have to admit that there are some things about winter I like.
I like sitting in Danae's apartment talking to her and watching shows about mediums and MTV while also trying to keep the babies happy. And during this ordeal Jay is completely asleep on a nearby chair.
I like buying hot cocoa from the grocery store. The thought of being cold but going home and drinking it with my family and warming up while having good conversations almost makes it worth being cold in the first place.
I like getting kisses from Kameryn. She's so interesting and I can tell so much by how she kisses me, and ultimately how much slobber ends up on my face afterward.
I liked putting up the Christmas tree tonight. Kameryn stayed completely enchanted with it and just wanted to reach out and touch it for the longest time. And it was fun to pull out the ornaments and remember how much fun it was to buy the one of our first Christmas together, and then add the one for "Baby's First Christmas, 2006."
Jay wrapped my presents that he's been secretly gathering and put them under the tree. This is a particularly huge surprise because Jay isn't too good at keeping secrets. And I've completely regressed to how I felt as a kid, wanting to open them early or at least shake them a bit. I thought I was past that stage, at least until we got up to Mom's house on Christmas morning and I saw the size of my pile. That gets me every year. But I'm surprised that it's started early this year.
Putting up the tree tonight was something out of an old movie or a Christmas painting. I was holding and trying to entertain the baby while Jay put up the tree and hung lights around the window, and every once in awhile Jay had to stop what he was doing and come over to praise Kameryn because she was talking and throwing in the occassional "Dada" here and there. This is the one we've been trying to get her to say for a long time now, and she finally figured it out tonight. It was impressive that she said it, but what was almost better, for me, was that we would praise her for it and she would get such a look of pride on her face. She would smile and laugh, and make the sound she makes closest to saying "Yeah!" and clap her hands. The more she learns to express herself, the more I want to hear what she's thinking. Until then, I'm really proud of "Dada." And we'll work now on a few "Mama's."
Saturday, November 25, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Kameryn's first word? I love it when the Christmas tree goes up! I know how long it takes mom, but it always looks so good when it is done! I love Kameryn's baby kisses too! They are so sweet! Even if she is pulling out your hair when she is giving it to you...
Yeah! I'm so jealous you get to spend this Christmas with your little baby! We just watched a home video of Emmy when she was just over 1, and wow. SO much fun! I can't wait to hear all about it, AND to see her tomorrow. HOLY CRAP the excitement is too much!!!!!
After I finally get started on it, I love putting up the Christmas tree every year. Mostly I love it when it is all done. It is always so magical and brings back a lot of memories of Christmases Past. I know that Wesley and Allison, maybe Danae, remember the year when I hated putting up the Christmas tree and tore out of the house in a rage when your dad criticized me for not being in a better mood. I am sorry for that occasion and hope that the picture of that happening grows fainter as you all talk to your therapists. :) In recent years, Geoffrey has been the one who helps me get into the Spirit of Christmas when he brings up all the boxes of ornaments and my Christmas village and assists me with whatever I ask him to do. He even patiently listens to my Kurt Bestor Christmas CDs while I decorate. He really makes it fun for me.
Hoo-ray for Christmas! I can't wait!
Post a Comment