So I think that part of my goal of blogging every day has to be altered a little bit...I promise to blog between when I wake up and when I go to sleep, so it will be a day for me, but the actual dates may show two on one day because some of them will be after midnight. Like tonight.
We took Kameryn for her 6 month check up today. She's 16 pounds 15.5 oz, and 27 inches long. She's healthy and right on track for where she should be. The only thing he recommended was that we start having her sleep by herself, in her own crib, all night long. He says to lay her down an go in every few minutes to comfort her, but the main goal is to let her figure out that she can comfort herself and she doesn't need me to be able to sleep.
So I started it tonight. I've heard it usually takes about three nights before the baby understands, sometimes more and hardly ever less. We've been doing it for about 40 minutes now and my poor baby is just so tired, every time I go in there to comfort her she starts rubbing her eyes and can barely keep herself awake, but when I leave she starts crying and screaming. I wish there was an easier way to do this, for both of us, because the fact that she's crying because she just wants me to pick her up kills me. I keep trying to think of the benefit, that she'll be so much easier to put to bed at night and it will be better for her AND us, but right now I really don't know if my resolve will last all night.
I just keep going in there and telling her that she's a big girl and we can do this, that this is easy. I'm trying to encourage her the best I can, but really I think I'm doing it for myself, standing over her saying the things that I need to hear to keep from picking her up.
One thing I did learn tonight is that she's completely comforted by me reading to her. She would stop crying and even look at the pictures of the book I read her tonight. It's one that Abby gave me after she was born and it's really simple. I think as this goes on I need to buy longer, Dr. Seuss type books. And yes, on Jay's nights I'm sure he'll read her Harry Potter chapters. Not bad for a six month old, she'll know how to Hop on Pop AND all about muggles and Hogwarts and Dumbledore.
I don't want to jinx it, but there's silence, only the sound of baby Einstein playing in her room. That only took about an hour. I know this is just phase one...
And I did jinx it, because now she's crying again.
Kameryn, when you read this later, I'm so proud of you. I love you more than I could say, I wouldn't do this if I didn't think it would help us both. You're so beautiful and easy to love and I would die for you without a second thought. I'm sorry that I'm making you miss me. I promise I'm still right here.
Tuesday, November 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I never did get this figured out, so I am very interested in knowing if it works for you and Kameryn. I totally understand what you said, that you wonder if it is really worth it to listen to my babies crying. Also, your dad got very grumpy when I let my babies cry because he thought he needed his sleep to be able to function at work the next day. He wasn't very patient with this process. So good luck. Your thoughts and feelings about Kameryn are very touching to me.
Kjersti, I've probably told you a million times, but you are such a good Mom! I love to listen to you talk to Kameryn and see your family interact together. It seems like you and Jay truly are a team in raising Kameryn.
I can sort or relate to how you're feeling. There have been times when Isaac is crying and Gary is doing what he can to comfort him, but in the end, he hands the baby to me and he stops crying. It's nice to know that I'm needed and that I have a positive effect on my son. It is empowering to know I have the ability to help comfort him. I also understand that bond where you just want your child to be happy and smiling all the time with no problems. It's hard to teach them to do it (comfort and sleep) on their own when you know it would be so much easier to do it for them. Just keep reminding yourself how proud you'll be of her when she does learn, because that means she really IS a big girl.
She really is so beautiful and so full of life. I love my sweet niece.
Good Luck Kjersti!! :) I know it will help you both! I promise! :) I'm sure she'll pick it up soon and you'll wonder why you ever worried. :) Love ya!
Ohh... Poor baby Kameryn. I wish you the best of luck Kjersti. I know that this is really going to be hard for you, and her. I think you are a great mom too and I love to play with my sweet little niece. :)
Post a Comment