Sunday, January 07, 2007

Baby Mama Trauma (Because That's The Way I Roll)

It's become obvious to me that I have a problem with follow-through.

I"m going to try and look at that fact as more of an enticing challange than a failure, even though I think it could go either way.

The worst part is that the place I see it the most right now is with Kameryn. Though at one point she was getting really good at eating her baby-food, we slacked off and now trying to feed it to her is like starting back at square one. That fact is especially hard to believe since we've started her on stage 2 food now, which is mostly dessert. I could get her to eat peas, but I totally fail when it comes to Hawaiin Delight. I don't quite understand it.

Also, I've been slacking off when putting Kameryn to bed. Instead of doing it the same time every night and the same way every night, I've been making it easier on myself and putting her to bed with a bottle. I also go into her room to hold and comfort her sometimes when she cries in the middle of the night. Tonight it seems obvious that she's figured me out, and she knows if she cries long and loud enough, I'll come back.

And let me tell you, this baby knows how to SCREAM when she's crying.

I still have the same dilemma I had when I was first teaching her to sleep in her own crib; it's hard for me to know that I could stop her crying so easilly if I just go pick her up. She has been sleeping so well until lately so I find that my patience for letting her cry things out has dwindled down to almost nothing.

I wonder if anyone has any advice for me. At what point do I just let her cry it out, and when should I go and pick her up? Is she old enough now that I can spoil her if I come everytime she cries?

I just want to be a good mom. I wish I knew exactly how to be one.

2 comments:

Kimba said...

Hey Kjersti! I don't feel like I can give you any advice cause I'm not a mom.....the only thing I could contribute is to remind you of how excited you were when Kameryn finally went to sleep on her own, and how you went about doing that. I remember you talking about how HAPPY both of you were.
And maybe to add the little phrase Caleb's dad always says... :) "Persistence Pays!"

And then I can just say....you're a great mom. That little girl loves you to death, and really when it boils down to it, that's all the proof you need. :) Love you!

Danae said...

Kjersti, first and foremost I want to say that whether or not you know the magic time to either pick her up or walk away, YOU ARE ALREADY A GOOD MOTHER. I can't even count how many times I am at your house and Kameryn sees you for the first time, either when you're coming home from work or if she's just waking up from a nap, and she brightens up instantly. She loves you, and it shows.

I agree with Kim, just keep doing what you did in the beginning. If you think she's forming a habit of crying until you come, maybe you can wait a little longer each time before you go in... or hold her for set time limit and then lay her back down. I don't know the answer, but I think you're doing a fabulous job of raising your daughter.