Monday, January 15, 2007

Speaking Out

Probably the most common new years resolution is to work out, get in shape, eat right and other things that involve becoming more healthy. I think I want to go along with this, but in my own way. I know I've already said it, but one of my New Years Resolutions this year is to make it a lifelong habit of sticking up for myself and not letting people use me and my good intentions for their own benefit.
I told the story about working for my coworker last Thursday even though I was sick, and then I took Friday off. When I got to work today all of the scanning from today AND Friday was sitting neatly on my desk, waiting to be scanned. So I went to my office manager tonight and said that I want to have a meeting with her and my coworker, and it's on for 1:00 tomorrow. The problem is since I initiated it I will probably get to lead the conversation, and I don't really know what to say. I'm trying not to overthink it because I don't want to worry about what will hurt her feelings and what won't because above everything else, I want to be honest.
I want to be happy. I think it's impossible to be happy if I keep muting myself because I'm afraid of what other people will think.

4 comments:

Danae said...

Good for you, Kjersti! I think this is awesome, and definitely a step in the right direction. You don't need to be afraid. I would just tell them what is bothering you, and ask them to clarify your job description. If you're not supposed to be your co-worker's 'scanning whore,' then you should definitely let them know that she's continuing to give you HER work and it needs to stop. Is she really so busy that she cannot scan in a few measley test results a day? Have her call me... I scan in almost on a daily basis between 30 - 40 pieces of mail for my attorneys, more when we get subpoenas in.

So, I just want to say GOOD FOR YOU!!

Little Momma said...

I want to say that what Danae says is what I say...Good for you, Kjersti. I think standing up for yourself is a great goal and this is a good place to start. It is one thing to have a generous and willing heart and another thing to put everyone else before yourself. This I know from experience. What you want is just as important as what anyone else wants and you never need to let anyone else walk on you. Good luck in your meeting.

Chelsee said...

Good luck Kjersti! I know it is really scary to talk to a co-worker, but when I did it, it turned out fine. She even got more done after that. So, I hope it all goes well.

Kimba said...

Good luck Kjersti! I am so horrible with confrontation like that, especially being "in charge". :) I KNOW you'll be glad you did it though! Let me (us..) know how it goes!