Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Good and the Bad

I wonder what it says about me that even though today was a reasonably good day, my first instinct is to sit down and bitch hardcore about everything that happened today. I think it might be that today is over, and while I'm happy I lived through it, I want to spread some of the misery around.

You know, for fun.

But I'm trying to remember the Four Agreements, and kept running them through my head as today progressed. Be Impeccable with your Word. Don't take anything personally. Don't make assumptions. Always do your best.

Let me tell you, being impeccable with my word got me a NASTY look this afternoon. I woke up this morning and realized instantly that I had slept on my neck wrong. It wasn't just kinked, it felt like I had to hold onto it or it would fall off. So, knowing that Danae was bringing Isaac over I took some Ibuprofen, since I knew that in taking care of a baby having a neck that moves isn't necessary, but it's a bonus. I've been taking Ibu daily lately, mostly for my hip, and I just popped the usual amount of pills.
I haven't felt good for awhile and recently my cough has started to sound like a seal barking. That, plus my runny nose and head-coldness, PLUS the fact that it was snowing today was enough to make me call into work. To which my manager replied, "Well, the problem is that (coworker's name) isn't here today. She said her car broke down. She said she's going to get a ride in."
So, sick and unable to merge onto the freeway safely because my neck still wouldn't turn, I drove into work. One of the doctor's was sitting in his office when I got there, and after I said hello I stood in the doorway and asked him, "Can I take a decongestant with 1000 mg of Ibuprofen in my system?"
"Why did you take 1000 mg of Ibuprofen?"
"I woke up this morning and my neck hurt, I could barely move it."
The shocked look he was giving me melted away for a second and he said, "Oh, so you have 500mg pills and you took two?"
This is where the impeccable-ness with my word kicked in.
"No, I have 200 mg pills and I took 5."
It wasn't the best thing to admit to the doctor.

The day progressed and I kept telling myself that I just had to wait until my co-worker got there and I could go home. IN fact, the office manager told me that she had talked to the doctors and they had told her they wanted her to go pick my co-worker up, or they would pay for a taxi to get her, and as soon as she got there I could go.

Well, when they finally got ahold of her she told them that her car was in the shop and she was freaking out about it, and while my manager was on the phone with her she started crying. So they told her she didn't have to come in after all, because I could handle it. She said this ignoring the fact that I had taken a box of tissues out of one of the rooms and the trash sitting next to me that was full of them.

The good thing about how today ended up is that I've had trouble of my own recently, my car broke down and I was sick, and with all the holidays mixed in I haven't worked a full week in awhile. So the good part is that I think I showed that I'm committed to the office, which I like. The lame thing is that instead of getting to leave early, I was the one that set the alarm when I left LAST. After EVERYONE else.

I made it home okay, even though I still could only turn my head one way, and when I got home Jay had dinner made, which is always nice and a huge bonus on a day like today. So we sat down with our roast and vegetables and watched a couple episodes of "The Office." And after I had eaten and enjoyed my first helping I asked Jay to get me some more, which he did. And as he was setting the plate down he said, "Yeah, did I mention that this is buffalo?" I looked at him, really hoping he was joking. He wasn't. I didn't eat the second helping. I'm not exactly sure WHY it grosses me out so much, but it really does. So here's the new rule for all the adventurous eaters who want me to try new things: Either tell me before I've eaten anything so I can decide for myself if I want to try it, OR wait until I'm done and THEN tell me. That's the new rule. Please follow it closely.

At last, today is over, the baby is sleeping, I've done my bitching and I can now go to bed. I only hope that sleeping tonight will improve the neck situation and not make it worse. And I may call in sick tomorrow, just for good measure. It might be nice sitting home tomorrow popping my 5 Ibuprofen pills and Entex PSE while watching Court TV.

6 comments:

Danae said...

Ok, #1, She-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named totally SUCKS! #2, Watch Judge Marilyn Millian on the People's Court... I love her (sniff, sniff)... I long for the days after Isaac was born when all I had to do was sleep and watch Court TV. I hope you feel better!!

Kimba said...

I would die if Caleb made BUFFALO for me and then didn't tell me about it. "HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?!?!?!" Definitely take a sick day! You deserve it! And maybe a nice hot bath...mm.....with a book.....mm....

Maybe I'll go do that. :)

Kimba said...

I would die if Caleb made BUFFALO for me and then didn't tell me about it. "HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?!?!?!" Definitely take a sick day! You deserve it! And maybe a nice hot bath...mm.....with a book.....mm....

Maybe I'll go do that. :)

Little Momma said...

Hmmm...it is a little scarey to me that, if I went to your doctor to find out what is wrong with me, I might catch what you have...

Luckily, there is nothing wrong with me. :)

I feel so bad for you, especially knowing that your being a martyr for the cause comes from your mother. When you feel better, go see your therapist.

Oh, and my bed is available if you need a place to go to feel better.

Allie said...

So, if I took you out to sushi, but I didn't tell you it was sushi until after you ate it, you would eat it? SWEET!

Call me if you want me to fix your neck over the phone. I'll just re-fluff your DNA. No, seriously, I can tell you a couple of things to try on it.

Kjersti said...

You've already done this plan, Allie. We went to sushi and you told me afterward that I had eaten Eel. I feel much the same way about the eel that I do about the buffalo.