Friday, January 26, 2007

Going Under the Knife, or the 3 mm Punch, as the Case May Be

At work we do a lot of mole biopsies. It probably averages out to one a day, we're in the treatment room quite a bit cutting things off people. When I started working at my office I dreaded doing these procedures with the doctors because it's just the three of us in the room, doctor patient and me, and when they'd ask me to grab something for them I would get nervous if I didn't know what it was or where to find it.

I remedied this fear by telling both the other MAs that anytime there was a mole biopsy, removal, or cyst removal, I wanted to be the one to do it. Once I got the hang of it I realized I kinda like it, and can't really explain why. I still flinch when the patient gets the shot, and I don't like the blood, but there's still something about it that interests me.

Well, I've been watching these procedures, ALL of them during my shift, for at least 6 months now. In fact, when the doctors are walking down to the procedure room they let me know because they expect I'll be the one to help them.

Well, it didn't take long before I started looking at my own moles and wondering which of them look suspicious. And with how often the patient's moles come back as cancer, or pre-cancer, I've started to worry about it.
So I've made an appointment on Tuesday to have my most worry-some mole biopsied. I'm scared, but I've seen it so many times that I know exactly what to expect. I'm not going to die early of something as preventable as skin cancer. I'm saving my cause of death for "Dr. Pepper Overdose."

4 comments:

Kimba said...

I've been worried about mine as well. Every time I go see the doctor they always FREAK OUT about my moles. I've had them all my life, but still.
Maybe next time I come home you can check mine. :) hehehehehhe

Danae said...

I don't worry about my moles... now that I'm getting OLDER, I worry about sun spots and wrinkles. How sad is that?? I have noticed those fine lines creeping in under my eyes, and sun spots showing up where there used to be none.

Good luck with that biopsy! Let me know how it goes...

Chelsee said...

Good luck Kjersti! I HATE needles!! :(

Allie said...

As you know, I had a couple of moles removed from my back a year or so ago. They came back atypical--kindof a pre-pre-cancer form. I'm glad I got them off though--just so I don't have to worry about watching them. I was having Steve take pictures of them with a penny next to them so that I could see if they had grown or not. Now I don't have to worry about them. I still have one more that I think needs to go, but now with my busy schedule I don't know for sure when I'll get a chance to get back in and get-er-done.