I've always been better about following resolutions when I write them down, and that's why I'm writing about them one after another. It also helps to write them on a blog, because even though I'm not promising anything to anyone, I know people can read what I say, and in that way it almost feels like I'm promising it to everyone.
I've been reading more of "The Four Agreements," and it's such a small book it's easy to zip through, but I had to stop because it's short and precise, and as such every sentence is an idea in and of itself. Trying to read through it quickly is putting too many ideas in my head and I can't sort them out, so I'm slowing down to wrap my head around everything it's trying to tell me.
Right now I'm on the Chapter called "Be Impeccable with Your Word." And yeah, for anyone that has read the book, that is Chapter 1. It has a lot to say about how your word is your power of creation, and how easy it is to misuse words and betray ourselves and hurt other people. So by being impeccable with your word you can free yourself and help other people.
I really like the thought of it so far, and this is something I really want to work on.
I know, as an example, that even small things can make my day better or worse really quickly, especially when I'm at work. On Friday I got to work and sat down at my desk and started doing refills, and after a few minutes one of the doctors I worked for walked out of a room he had been in. He said hi to me, and I said hi back and asked him how his morning had gone, and he said, "It was okay, but I'm really glad that you're here." It was so simple, but it meant a lot to me. Especially coming from a person that I respect so much.
So I want to be better about saying out loud the nice things I think to myself but, for whatever reason, don't say. And I also want to be better about saying a lot more of the good stuff and avoiding a lot of the bad stuff. Except about snow. With snow, all bets are off.
Saturday, January 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I really really loved this book, and also another one by the same author called, "The Mastery of Love." Hearing you talk about it makes me want to read it again. I'm really glad that you like it so far.
If you don't mind, I might need to borrow that book when you are done. Allie really wants me to read it too. No rush though. I have plenty of other books to read that I got for Christmas! :)
Post a Comment