I've been thinking lately about how easilly small choices can make a big difference. Sometimes when I'm driving to work I even go so far as to wonder what difference it will make in my day if I hit a certain light red or green. That might be a little extreme, but I do see the chain reaction small choices make, like how if I get a late start to work and then hit all the lights red between here and the freeway, I'm more frustrated when I get to work. Then the entire day is different than if I were running late in the morning and I miraculously hit all the lights green.
I also think that small things in a person's life might be leading them to where they'll eventually end up, like when I thought I got the job here at the gas station in Bountiful so I quit my job in Salt Lake only to find I didn't have the job after all. At that point I made the decision to go to school to be an MA. But what if I had gotten the job at the gas station? I wonder where I would be now if that had been the case.
I can tell that my life right now is pretty mundane, pretty safe. I know what will happen tomorrow most of the time. But I wonder how my life now will effect my life 6 months from now. I want this year to be a year when things change, opportunities arise and big plans get set into motion, and I wonder what little choices will help get me from here to there.
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That makes sense, and I think about it all the time, too. I think that what you're trying to say is a lot like what I was trying to say about being 26 and still feeling like I'm in the same old rut. It's funny how things keep flipping back and forth between staying here and moving. Now that Gary and I have it in our heads to move, I'm having a really hard time being satisfied with where I am right now in my life. I want to do something new, and have something exciting happen!
Post a Comment